QUILTER JAN

Welcome to my blog!

Friday, December 6, 2013

The Batik Birthday Quilt

This precut batiks quilt kit was given to me by BBF, Debi.  Now it is ready to be quilted.  I still have to find a backing for it.  Had to figure out how to get the sides of the last border to fit and ended up putting another border around it, then I persuaded it to fit!!!  It is very colorful.

We were without power for 4 hours today while an ice storm came through.  Since it's not going to get above freezing tonight or the next 2 days, it means that it is going to be  rough going on the highways and bridges the next few days.  Couldn't do any sewing today though, since we were without power for 4 hours.  Really amazing how much we do needs electricity.

So I tried to rip out the hand quilting on my turkey, but found I couldn't see well enough in what light there was, to take the same color stitches as the background out.  How did our grandmothers ever do it all by candlelight and kerosene lantern?

I have bought the material and am ready to start the quilt in the book "Quilty Fun" by Lori Holt.  Debi and I are going to work on it together and do one row every 3-4 weeks.  Sounds like fun.  I really like everything about this book.  The pictures are so good and the directions are very clear.  Besides the quilt, she has several other small projects to work on.  I want to make those, too!!

Let quilting help you make someone smile!

Jan

2 comments:

Cindy Sharp said...

Your quilt is beautiful.

Glad the electricity was only out for 4 hours. There are some in our area who have been without for more than a day. We, however, are fine. Stuck in the house, but warm and well fed.

Debi said...

I just adore this quilt Jan, you did an excellent job. It is fun to have someone to do a sampler row by row quilt with....going to work on week 2 this week!